Saturday, September 16, 2006

Tip #138: Trust Accelerated Learning Techniques

Accelerated learning techniques include involving as many senses as possible for whole brain learning and to meet the needs of different learning styles. Color, music, touch, movement, visual stimulation, and the use of metaphor and story are all very important ingredients in an accelerated learning classroom.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to conduct a train the trainer program for five men who work and train on oil rigs around the world. As I was planning what to pack, I had second thoughts about bringing the kites and colorful agenda map I usually put on the walls, the koosh balls, clay, pipe cleaners, candy, and the music I play. Rather than a distraction to learning, these items generally satisfy and stimulate different learners to enrich their learning. However, these were rough tough guys who worked in the most difficult and dangerous places in the world- and I was concerned that I would lose credibility if they came into the training room and saw all of this.

After a lot of thought, I decided that I believed in accelerated learning and I needed to trust that they would respond positively.

Yes, they were a tad surprised when they walked into the room- but it was a pleasant surprise. Not only did they respond positively, they turned out to be one of the most creative tactile groups I've ever had! They went through the clay and the pipe cleaners so quickly I needed to refresh their supplies every day. And they loved receiving the pictures of their creativity and their work posted on flip charts, which I always send to groups after a program.

I learned to trust what I know works- and that if I am positive about what I am doing, most of my participants will feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment